“North Carolina is growing fast, and this funding is absolutely essential to protect land and water for future generations,” said Tim Gestwicki, Chief Executive Officer of the North Carolina Wildlife Federation. “In particular, this budget will help keep many acres of working lands in production by offering additional funding for our state’s farmers, ranchers, foresters, and others who are stewarding their lands for the good of us all.”
The state’s three conservation trust funds, the North Carolina Land and Water Trust Fund (NCLWF), the Parks and Recreation Trust Fund (PARTF), and the Agricultural Development and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund (ADFPTF) are essential tools that allow state agencies and nonprofit partners to protect North Carolina’s valuable natural resources.
Conservation funding in the budget:
- Increases recurring funding for the NC Land and Water Fund by $3.8 million, and provides an additional $2 million in nonrecurring funds, bringing the total funding to $30 million.
- Increases recurring funding for the Parks and Recreation Trust Fund by $3.8 million, and provides an additional $2 million in nonrecurring funds, bringing the total funding to $30 million.
- Increases funding for the Agriculture Development and Farmland Preservation Trust Fund by $10 million, bringing the total funding to $20 million.
- Provides $42 million over the biennium for trails, including $25 million for the Great Trails Program, $5 million for the Complete the Trails fund, and $12 million for the Saluda Grade Trail.
- Provides $12.5 million for the development of local parks that provide access for people with disabilities.
The Coalition recognizes these conservation heroes who went the extra mile to protect our state’s most loved places. The Land for Tomorrow Coalition applauds the following legislators:
- Speaker of the House – Representative Tim Moore
- President Pro Tem – Senator Phil Berger
- Majority Leader – Representative John Bell
- Majority Leader – Senator Paul Newton
- Appropriation Chairs
- House: Lambeth, Saine, Arp, Kyle Hall, Strickland, Brisson, Elmore, Faircloth, Jones, Sasser
- Senate: Jackson, Hise, Lee
- Subcommittee Chairs
- House: Dixon, Gillespie, Goodwin
- Senate: Sanderson, Johnson, Craven
READ THE FULL BUDGET HERE: https://webservices.ncleg.gov/ViewBillDocument/2023/7268/0/H259-PCCS50044-MHXR-6