Join our team!
None are available at this time.
Catawba Lands Conservancy (CLC) permanently protects land, water and wildlife habitat to enhance the quality of life in Mecklenburg, Gaston, Lincoln and Union counties, as well as in the southern portions of Catawba and Iredell. CLC is the lead agency for The Carolina Thread Trail (CTT), a regional network of greenways, trails and blueways that connect 15 counties, 2 states and 2.3 million people. The Staff Attorney role is integral to the success of advancing the missions of CLC and CTT. The position will support the Land Conservation and Stewardship teams to advise on complex land conservation transactions, conservation easement amendment requests, condemnations on CLC-owned preserves and other matters. The Staff Attorney will also support CTT in their work with local governments and landowners to acquire trail easements and maintenance agreements.
The Staff Attorney will represent the interests of Catawba Lands Conservancy and Carolina Thread Trail in:
Draft agreements, including conservation easements, trail easements, memoranda of understanding, contracts
Support negotiation of agreements and property closings
Respond to and manage: requests for conservation easement amendments, requests for easements or rights of way, condemnation filings, violations of conservation easements, grant contract amendments
Evaluate and advise on risk management, including liability insurance, conservation insurance, program and volunteer participant waivers
Engage and supervise outside counsel, as needed
Perform legal research
Special projects, as needed
Qualifications and Skills:
Education and Experience:
• NC licensed attorney
• Experience with real estate transactions
• Experience with conservation
• Experience with nonprofits and local government
• Ability to work effectively with little supervision and to work closely as part of a dynamic and motivated team with the ability to earn the trust and respect of others
• A proactive self-starter with the ability to take on multiple evolving and changing priorities and adjust quickly and efficiently
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; strong organizational skills
• Attention to detail and accurate work product
• A passion for conservation and outdoor recreation, and a willingness to work with people from diverse backgrounds to advance CLC and CTT’s missions
• “Team over self” approach and understanding of mission-driven work
This position is part-time with a pay rate of $30.00/hour and approximately 28 hours expected per week. The hours and work location are flexible, and the position may be conducted remotely with occasional meetings in the office or field.
How to Apply:
Applicants should submit 1) cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a list of three references in a single PDF, by email to Bart Landess, Executive Director.
Please include “CLC/CTT Staff Attorney” in the subject line. References will not be contacted unless you are selected for an interview.