We’re excited to kick off Earth Month by announcing that we have conserved 11 acres in western Mecklenburg County, between the US National Whitewater Center and Iswa Nature Preserve! The property includes a historic farmhouse as well as beautiful, mature hardwood forests and a perennial stream. Located on a tributary of the Catawba River, the property will remain protected forever from the rapid development happening across the Greater Charlotte region.
Read the full press release about this conservation win below.
Charlotte, N.C. – Catawba Lands Conservancy has permanently conserved 10.9 acres in western Mecklenburg County, between the US National Whitewater Center and Iswa Nature Preserve. Located on a tributary of the Catawba River, the property will now remain protected forever from the rapid development happening across the Greater Charlotte region.
The Sandifer Wilson Conservation Easement was once part of a 246-acre farm that extended all the way to the Catawba River, where many early farms in Mecklenburg County existed. It includes a perennial stream and mature hardwood forest, and is home to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission-designated Thomas T. Sandifer farmhouse. Built in the 1850’s, it is one of the few remaining antebellum houses constructed along the Catawba River and serves as a typical example of the architectural style that existed within the region during that time period. The Conservancy holds the conservation easement on the entire property and the landowners are working with Preserve Mecklenburg to protect the farmhouse from demolition through a Preservation Easement.“We feel that protecting wild lands and historic properties like ours is one of the greatest services a family can do for their community,” said property owners Missy Eppes and Jake Armour. “We really hope our conservation will inspire our neighbors throughout the Northwest Community to do the same!”
The property owners generously donated the conservation easement and support from the North Carolina Land and Water Fund mini-grant program provided funds for the transaction expenses.
Photos by Nancy Pierce